Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Library card

The Library card

Hikari

This happened when I was in my 3rd year of college...

I always go to the library to do my homework and read fiction books since I am a bookworm (so my friends say).

One day as I was reading 5 books (crazy huh?!), I noticed a name in the library card; it was a name I often see in the books I read.

“Alfred Juan”, this was the name of the borrower before me. Most of the books I have read had his name on it. My mind got curious as to who he is. I wanted to know him since we have the same taste in books.

I started to read more books to see if he will also notice me and after a few days I will check the books I have read to see if he also borrowed it. And with no doubt, I have proved my theory. The books I have read also have his name after I borrowed it.

I began to imagine what he looked like, if he was a cute boy who likes books or a nerd with thick glasses? In my heart, I wished he was cute. J

Many days passed, my heart longed to see him… what he looked like behind the name on the library card?

As I was finishing my homework, the bell rang for the next period and I hurriedly went to class but I forgot my homework that was clipped inside the reference book so I went back to get it.

My heart is racing as I walk to the table and look for the book but when I got there, the book wasn’t there. I checked the chair I sat on and under the table when a voice startled me from behind.

He was holding the book with my homework. He was such a handsome guy that I just stared at him. He let out a chuckle to make me come to my senses. I was so embarrassed that I snatch the book from him and ran out of the library.

I don’t know if my heart was beating fast from running or from something else. I sat on a bench near the basketball court to catch some breath when the guy that was holding the book followed me there.

He sat beside me because he was also out of breath from running. I dare not to say a word as I sit there on the bench. After taking in one big breath, he spoke to me… “You sure are a fast runner Ms. Beverly Medina.”

I was shocked he knew my name so before he can speak more I stood up and prepare to leave when he grabbed my hand and ask me to wait, that he can explain why he knew me.

I sat again and listened to what he will say. He said he was also looking for me. He also noticed that my name was always in the books he read. He was always in the library hoping that we will bump to each other. He said he was happy to finally meet me that he was lost for words to say.

I only stared at his handsome face as he spoke; “this guy was also looking for me?” I thought to myself. We got to know each other more as the days passed. He was an IT student and he really reads a lot in his spare time.

I was really happy being with him; he would crack jokes and find a way to make me smile every time.

One day as he was walking me home, he stopped and held my hand. He told me he was going to Singapore for his on the job training and he will be gone for 3 mos. My hand trembled as I heard the news. I don’t want him to go, even for a day and here he was telling me that we will not see each other for 3 months?!

He held my hand tighter; he assured me that he will be back, that I should wait for him. We spent the rest of his days as normal as we can. When we parted on the airport, I held back any tears I have and wished him luck there.

The three months were grueling for me, projects on every subject, tests and extra curricular activities wore me out. At the end of the day, I was always exhausted but even so, there was never a time I have forgotten Alfred. He was always in my thoughts; I always ask myself how is he doing there? Did he already adjust to the people there? I always relieve the times we have spent together, how happy we were together. Then I will suddenly cry, that is how I miss him, one second I am happy the next one I’m sad.

Alfred never once called or sent me an email in the time he was in Singapore that is why it worries me more if will I still wait or just give him up. I felt I was left behind. He was already on his way to a great career while I sit here and wait for what will happen to my life.

3 months have passed, Alfred will be coming back. “How much did he change since that time?” “Does he still feel the same about me?” I asked myself.

I decided not to meet him when he came back. I got scared. The time we were apart proved that I really love him and I am scared that he may not feel the same anymore.

The next day, he came by in my house and asked me if we can go for a drive. He was more handsome than before, he was like a prince that came out of a fairy tale; I had to keep my composure so that he will not find out that I fell in love with him all over…

He was quiet during the drive, I will ask him questions about his on the job training and he would only answer in a few words. I started to feel uneasy on the trip when he asked why I did not go to the airport to meet him the day he came back.

I told him I wasn’t feeling well that day that is why I was not able to go. He got worried and asked if it was okay that he took me out for a drive. I nodded and said I wanted to go outside too for some air. He smiled when I said that.

He was still the Alfred that I knew, handsome and caring. I felt relieved after knowing that he still cared for me.

We stopped by and ate lunch at a restaurant overlooking Taal volcano. There he told me what happened to him in Singapore and we also talked about the old times, joked about some people and relieved all memories we had.

As we were drinking coffee, he apologized for not contacting me for the past 3 months. He said he did not want to interfere with my studies and activities in school. But he also told me how bad he misses me; he said that every time he sees a phone, he wants to call me. Whenever he sees planes he wants to go to the airport and fly back here.

I was very happy when I heard that he was also lonely and that he missed me that bad.

He excused himself for a while and told me to wait because he will just get something he forgot in the car.

When he came back he was holding a large bouquet of roses, his face was also flustered as he gave it to me. I was happy and speechless at the sight of the roses, they were beautiful.

He began to sound serious as I stare at the roses. He asked me to look in his face and don’t dare laugh at what will he say. He started talking about the past on how much he wanted to meet me and how he was happy everyday that we were together. My heart started beating fast every time he said a word. Then he said. “My heart’s already lost to you Beverly. You’re the only one I want to be with till eternity.” “I know this is too sudden and we are still in school but I want you to know now how much I love you and how much I wanted us to be together.” “Will you please marry me?”

My heart was pounding hard and my head was spinning at the words he said, he was now holding my shaking hand and wiping the tears of joy in my eyes. I couldn’t find the voice to say yes so I just nodded between my sniffs and sobs. He was laughing at how I looked but I can see that he was relieved I answered yes.

We hugged after and I felt he kissed my hair, I was so happy and I felt secured in his arms. I really love him, I have never felt anything like this my life.

I was just a girl that got curious on a name in the library card, who knew that because of that I will meet my destined love...

No comments: